LARGO, Florida (December, 2010) – The National Forensic Science Technology Center (NFSTC) executive team was again recognized by the Tampa Bay Business Journal as one of the area’s top management teams. CEO Kevin Lothridge, COO David Epstein and Chief Projects Officer David Sylvester accepted the award at the Journal’s event in early December. NFSTC took the #5 spot in a field of 21 finalists. The current management team has worked together since 2003 and has led the organization to new success levels over the past three years.
Selections were based on the organization’s achievements and growth in multiple areas. NFSTC’s highlights included recent expansion plans and creative business solutions, but the secret of the team’s success has been to focus on building a strong staff team.
NFSTC’s efforts to attract and maintain a talented and satisfied workforce include a rich employment package with employer paid health benefits and retirement contributions, wellness and professional development benefits, and schedule flexibility. Overall retention rates of greater than 97 percent reflect outstanding staff satisfaction.
Key examples of NFSTC’s commitment to staff wellness, career growth, and employee satisfaction include:
- A strong corporate culture: NFSTC staff is making a difference in the world, not just going to work
- Organizational attitude that empowers individuals
- Controlled growth to provide expanded opportunities for challenging work and professional development
- Recruitment process that gives priority to internal candidates to provide growth opportunities to existing staff before opening positions to external sources
- Semper Gumby mentality (be flexible and positive)
- Strong focus on work/life balance and staying healthy
- Benefits package that aims to ensure staff does not have to make decisions about their health or personal life that could negatively impact the employee or the company
- An extensive orientation process that helps newcomers get to know the company and targets communication, conflict resolution and stress management
In addition, NFSTC seeks out opportunities for community participation, both locally and within the forensic science community. The executive team strongly believes in contributing to industry development through education and programmatic awareness. NFSTC community leadership in Tampa Bay included the special CSI Night event in January, tours for STEM students in June and hosting the community science education event, SciCafe, in July.
Learn more about the Tampa Bay Business Journal’s Ultimate Management Team 2010 event: http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2010/12/02/ultimate-management-teams-ranked.html